BigFish is a learning community for youth who want to live and learn outside of conventional school. Members choose when to attend, what classes to take, and what specific guidance and mentorship they require. We promote self-directed learning by helping youth make a plan that supports who they are and who they want to become.
1. Young people want to learn.
2. Learning happens everywhere.
3. It really is OK to leave school.
4. How people behave under one set of circumstances and assumptions does not predict how they will behave under a very different set of circumstances and assumptions.
5. Structure communicates as powerfully as words, and often more powerfully.
6. As adults working with young people, we should mostly strive to "make possible" rather than "make sure".
7. The best preparation for a meaningful and productive future is a meaningful and productive present.
On paper I was exceeding, but I realized I needed an education that would best suit my needs.
~Madi, BigFish Founding Member